IFE INSTITUTE OF ADVANCED STUDIES
IIAS RESEARCH GRANTS COMPETITION 2022
IIAS Research Grants will be awarded annually, by the sponsors, to IIAS Fellows (graduate or early career researchers) involved in promising ethnographic research in the field of humanities and social sciences.
A total sum of $2,500 ($500 each) is available to be awarded in 2022 to five (5) successful recipients with the leading applications in the year's competition. Intellectual merit is the criterion by which proposals will be evaluated. Dissertation research qualifies for funding, as does postdoctoral research. Applicants MUST be current and incoming IIAS Fellows at the time of application. What the IIAS Research Grants Do and Do Not Cover: The IIAS Research Grants cover only direct research expenses, such as: (1) transportation expenses to conduct research; (2) data collection; (3) lodging; (4) purchase of books or periodicals. They do not cover: (1) tuition fees for students; (2) salary or stipends for the researcher; (3) conference registration fees or travel costs to conferences; (4) or any other costs unrelated to the research.
Application Procedure: Applications should include the following elements in a single MS Word or PDF document:
1) The applications should include an abstract of no more than 100 words.
2) A proposal statement of not more than 1,200 words which outlines the rationale and plan of research. It should have a descriptive title for the research project (e.g., "Faith, Politics and Corruption in Nigeria"), present a clear research question, review previous research and theory that forms the background for the study, describe the research method(s) that will be used to carry out the research as well as a research timeline, and summarize succinctly what the research aims to discover. The proposal should also include a statement of the applicant's qualifications to carry out the proposed research (Please keep your proposals free of jargon. While language specific to your research area or theoretical orientation may be necessary, please be sure that your proposal can be easily grasped by someone who does not work in your particular area).
3) A detailed, one-page budget. It should indicate the items for which the applicant is seeking funding, the amount it will cost (in USD or local currency equivalent) and the exact purposes for which it will be used. Applicants are advised to NOT include items in their pro posed budget that IIAS Research Grants does not cover (see above).
4) A brief curriculum vitae (no more than 2 pages), and a current email address at which she/he can be contacted.
All applications, including the proposal, budget, c.v., and statement of qualifications, must be in English and submitted electronically as a single MS Word or PDF document to the IIAS email: email@example.com with "2022 IIAS Research Grants Application in the subject line. All application packages must be received by June 1, 2022.
Grant winners will be announced at the Summer Institute in July/August 2022.
Application Guideline: To apply, click on the Google form link below: http://forms.gle/L9ERCF13XmNz8jjk6
Recipients are expected to:
(1) Complete their research before the 2023 Summer Institute;
(2) At the end of the grant period, compose a Final Research Report in which they describe (a) the "Background of their study, (b) the "Research Methods" employed, (c) the “Preliminary Findings," (d) the "Deliverables" (e.g. anticipated publication), and (e) how the funds were used;
(3) Must attend and present the research report during the 2023 IIAS Summer Institute.
Programme Officer: Oladimeji Ogunoye firstname.lastname@example.org/Call or send WhatsApp message to: +2347039614251
Research Secretary and Liaison Officer: Dr. Omotayo Owoeye email@example.com/+2348028561434 (WhatsApp only)